Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Kids, Don't Try This at Home


Taking photos at 90 mph on the freeway between Vegas and Cali, or at 40 mph on a twisty mountain road in Big Bear should be reserved for trained professionals such as myself. You have been warned.

Ah, the Rim Nordic. I did all my pre-race stuff right and in a more-than-timely manner. Thanks to Dana Point Clint and his Uber-Trailer for the oatmeal. You rock, dude. I had the best start I've had in a long time. I wasn't dropped by everyone in the first 30 seconds! It took 10 minutes this time! My first lap went well and I felt good, though. The second lap the altitude began to kick my ass as I climbed toward the fire road, and I slowed down a lot. And the third lap reverted back to the hell that has been my racing career for the last 2 years. At least the downhill was fun with my new fork (when I ignored the searing pain in the bottom of my feet) (oh, and the searing of my pasty white flesh by the emerging afternoon sun - guess my perfect pre-race ritual did have one flaw: sunblock)

Thanks to Christie's friend Jess (from the Camp N Rizzle crew) who was kind enough to take on water bottle duty for me, AND for some reason cheering duty. Which isn't easy considering I'm out on the course longer than anyone else on the mountain (I think Rim Nordic is considering banning me just so their volunteers can go home an hour earlier!).

I did take home a Jose Ole prize package from the raffle drawing, so I managed to pull something good out of it all.

Well, I'll keep fighting the fight and we'll see...

Remember kids, I'm an expert, and any attempt to replicate these results could be fatal.

2 comments:

Joy Joy said...

Dude, what was in your Jose Ole Prize packege? If it is food, DO NOT add that to your pre-race ritual, NO BUENO!

JIMBO said...

Mosh-Pit Bob always rocks the house.... He's the Sheeeeeeit!